Thursday, July 15, 2010

Has this ever happened to you?

Okay, so I started Joy Sampler by Lizzie*Kate a while back.  I had about half of the top border stitched when my ADD reared its ugly head and I moved on to something else.  I finally remembered it picked it up again yesterday and continued stitching the top border, then did a couple little areas with the same symbol on the chart - only it turns out it wasn't all the SAME symbol.  Some of it was the same symbol turned upside down.  GRRRR!!!  I didn't even pick up on it until I looked at the photo and noticed that the colors on the model didn't match what I'd already stitched.  My dyslexic little pea brain had only registered an open triangle on the chart, not its orientation.  So I have stitched the top border, one of the lights on the string, and the bow on the candy cane in WDW Sky instead of WDW Hunter.  And they're going to stay that way, and the bottom border will be stitched in Sky to match the top.

So here's the thing.  There are only 12 symbols on the whole design.  Do you mean to tell me that the designer couldn't have come up with 12 unique symbols to represent the colors?  C'mon!  She didn't use a filled in triangle, a heart, any numbers or letters (beyond the stylized LK), or any other typical keyboard symbols at all. And not an oval, circle, rectangle, hexagon, octagon, or other polygon except a solid square is to be found on the whole chart.  :(  Designers, take note: please use as many DISSIMILAR symbols as possible when you create your charts! I know I would appreciate it, and I don't think I'm alone in this.  Stitchers (and designers), please feel free to weigh in, whether you agree or disagree.  I'd love to hear your experiences and opinions.

On a side note, I already foresee a problem when I get to the Chestnut and Whiskey, because one is a forward slash and the other is a back slash.  *Sigh*

In other news, I hope to be able to update more.  I finally bit the bullet and bought MYSELF a laptop.  My son monopolizes the old one to play online games and has managed to break off one key, make others stick, and mess up all three USB ports.  It has been so frustrating to try to post from it, and I can't download pictures to it from my camera, so I just gave up.  I've been spending my lunch hours stitching, so no updates here except for the sidebar.  I'm sure there are probably things in the sidebar that are out of date, too, since I've only been changing the WIPs, UFOs, and Finishes.  I'm aiming for Sunday to bring things current, but I won't swear to it.  Thanks for hanging in there!


Anonymous said...

I had that same problem with the Mirabilia Mediterannean Mermaid I'm stitching. I've frogged as much as I've put in.

I look forward to seeing your updates whenever.

Deb said...

I have had the exact same problem, especially with one designer who I won't mention. There won't be that many symbols - maybe 10 - and there is one or two that the orientation is different, but not enough so that you really pick up on it. With all the symbols to use, why not go for it and really have symbols that bear no resemblance to each other.

And yeah on your own computer. Hope to see your updates soon.

Hillery said...

I agree with you, the symbols can be maddening sometimes. I'm sorry about your trouble, I've been there. Also, it's nice to see someone else out there with a touch of ADD. I too cannot concentrate long enough to finish a piece. I think I have started 5 pieces to every finished one. Oh well, once a perpetual starter, always a perpetual starter. As for the dylexia, I have that too, only it's dylexia of the mouth. I can't say anything right. LOL. Here's to those with multiple mental problems. HERE! HERE!
I'm only joking of course.
Have a great day, and happy stitching.

Jules said...

I had that problem not too long ago with the Christmas Design that I am stitching. It's "Coming Home for the Holidays" and there are 2 squares that are very similar. Upon magnification I noticed that I had stitched a much darker shade in an area that should have been light. I noticed this only AFTER I had gotten about 1/3 of the way through the design. Needless to say, the froggies paid my a minor visit as I pulled out some of those darker threads and restitched the correct color. I didn't do all of the sections, only the ones where it was too obvious/obnoxious.

Sharlotte said...

I with you Diane! They are creative with making the patterns but when it comes to the finding many dissimiliar symbols, their creativity with that seems to go out the window! I've done what you did several times because of it.

Glad you were able to get another computer. Hope you are enjoying your summer.

Babs said...

I have the same, and when I noticed it, I was at the end off the chart, so I just throwed away the whole piece.

Meari said...

I agree with you on symbols, although I've never had a problem with them. I'm just really, really careful I guess. LOL Looking forward to seeing your updates.

mainely stitching said...

I am *so* with you in regard to the symbol issue! MAKE THEM LOOK DIFFERENT, DESIGNERS! LOL. Phew, feels good to get that off my chest. ;)